Staff: Advance Practice Nurse
Position Number : APN-0619 | Date Updated : June 22nd, 2019
ADVANCE PRACTICE NURSE – TEMPORARY FULL-TIME - The Advance Practice Nurse provides support for the overall day-to-day operationalization and coordination of patient care and patient transition on the patient care floor. He/she provides supervisory support for managing professional practice of nursing staff.
Application Deadline: June 28, 2019 @ 16h00
- Assign, supervise, and guide staff in providing high quality care
- Provide leadership and support to nursing staff
- Provide supervision to the patient care administrator of the assigned patient care floor
- Collaborate with Clinical Educators to utilize and apply current specialized knowledge and expertise on recent advances in nursing practice
- Participate in the development and review of policies, procedures and protocols
- Demonstrate excellence in communication, coaching, mentoring and team building skills
- Lead the implementation of quality improvement initiatives and best practices in collaboration with Clinical Educators
- Serve as clinical resource for complex continuing care and rehabilitation nursing
- Exemplify best quality communication and customer excellence while dealing with patients, families, and the inter-professional team
- Mentor staff to manage challenging issues or patient and family needs.
- In collaboration with the patient care manager, achieves hospital’s goals pertaining to material, fiscal, & human resource utilization
- Assist patient care manager with management of unit staffing (i.e. vacation & shift change approval) to ensure appropriate staffing level and nursing skill mix ratio.
- Work collaboratively with Patient Care Manager and the HR department to provide oversight and accountability for the attendance management program and labor relation issues
- Identify and communicate professional practice related issues to the nursing leadership team and collaboratively support staff professional development
- Participate in hiring, orientation, performance evaluation and termination of RNs, RPNs and patient care administrators
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for patients during their stay
- Ensure integrated care plans are completed and up to date and deficiencies are followed up with the RN or RPN assigned to the patient and unresolved issues are reported appropriately
- Manage and lead transfer of accountability (shift hand-over) processes, purposeful rounding, inter-professional rounds, shift reports and patients’ concerns
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications/experience:
- Current Registration with College of Nurses of Ontario in Good standing
- Minimum of 3 years of clinical experience in a Hospital. In addition, a minimum of two years of supervisory experience is preferred
- Registered Nurse with Baccalaureate degree required, Masters Degree in Nursing, Health Science or related field required. Candidates who are actively pursuing their Masters will be considered.
- Specialty certification in gerontology or rehabilitation nursing is an asset
- Education in clinical leadership, project management or management is preferred
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification required
- Evidence of good performance history and attendance record